The Chatswood Public School Parents & Citizens Association seeks a Canteen Assistant in a job share arrangement reporting to the Canteen Supervisor, with dotted line reporting to the Canteen Convenor and employed by the Chatswood Public School Parents and Citizens Association.
The Canteen Assistant will enhance Canteen operations by contributing to daily food preparation and food service tasks, supporting Canteen operations as overseen by the Canteen Supervisor(s), and collaborating with other Canteen casual employees as well as parent and community volunteers. The Assistant position will be based primarily at Chatswood Public School main campus. There may be an occasional requirement to work for short periods at the Bush Campus location on Centennial Avenue, as needs arise.
The Assistant will report directly to the Canteen Supervisor, with dotted line reporting to the Canteen Convenor. Responsibilities will include:
- Preparing, packaging, and serving Canteen food as per the Canteen menu and direction from Canteen Supervisor(s)
- Assisting with the cleaning of the canteen area on a daily basis; e.g., cleaning of benchtops, appliances, floors, sinks, etc.
- Assisting with receipt of deliveries and organisation of food inventory
- Supporting Main Campus and Bush Campus canteen services as needed
- Contributing to healthy menu development with the Canteen team, as per NSW Healthy School Canteens Strategy
- Collaborating with the Canteen team on special school and P&C events, such as Canteen Fun Days, Moon Festival, parent welcome sessions, etc.
- Maintaining positive face-to-face contact with school students, teachers and school staff, and parent/community volunteers
- Contributing to keeping the overall site clean, safe, and presentable to customers
- Other duties as required Skills and attributes demonstrated as part of this role include:
- Effective communication skills in interacting with adults and with students Page 2 of 3
- Ability to work well independently as well as collaborate well with a team
- Passion for healthy eating and sharing healthy eating strategies with students
- Commitment to hard work, progress toward goals, and constructive approaches to problem solving
- Shared commitment to continuous improvement
- Desire to contribute to the Chatswood Public School community
- Remaining physically fit able to undertake associated manual work
Pay and Benefits
The Canteen Assistant is a casual position. Remuneration includes the base hourly rate and our contribution to superannuation and is based on the terms of the Fast Food Industry Award. Canteen Assistant: Fast Food Industry Award, Casual, Level 1 Hourly pay rate: $25.99 (award as updated 7/2018) Hours of Work The Assistant’s ordinary hours of work will be from 9:30am to 12:30pm on two or three consecutive weekdays — days to be determined according to job share agreement — during published NSW school term dates. Occasionally the Assistant may be required to work reasonable additional time above ordinary hours or additional days of work outside the published term dates in order to prepare or plan for the services offered by the Canteen. These will be agreed upon in advance with the Supervisor and/or Convenor. In addition, as part of the job share agreement, the Assistant may provide provide back-up in the event of their counterpart’s absence and vice versa, or swap work days on an occasional basis.
Annual and Personal Leave As a casual employee, the Assistant will have no entitlement to paid annual or personal leave. If leave is required, all absences are expected to be taken during the published NSW school holidays and during canteen shut-down. If a planned absence is required for any reason during term time, the request will be considered, with advance notice and a suitable coverage plan as agreed upon with the Convenor. For unplanned absences, as much advance notice as possible is required and at a minimum of an hour before your start time that day so as to invoke the back-up plan agreed upon with the Supervisor and Convenor.
How to Apply
Persons interested in this role will please apply via email and attach a cover letter (max 2 pages) with your expression of interest and your CV or resume. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees. Candidates who are successfully progressed to interview will be required to provide proof of identity information. As this is a child-related position, the successful candidate will also be required to obtain a Working with Children Check (WWCC) Clearance number as a condition of employment.
Thursday, 28 February, 2019 4:00pm
All expressions of interest and applications must be received via email by this date.
Contact Canteen Convenor, P&C Association